Ad

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Having Babies Pollutes The Planet?


So, here's an issue for you.

Have you ever heard anyone say that childbearing is selfish?

..."oh, you're having kids? You are so selfish!"

..."Those childbearing types...they are so selfish!"

Wouldn't that sound ridiculous and uneducated for someone to talk like that?

Well, here's a story about some who say its 'selfish' to have children because you're ruining the Earth by doing so.

As put on a recap from the Glenn Beck program from CNN, "Spoken like a childless person -- obviously they wouldn't know just how selfless having a child is. Maybe if their Friday night excitement consisted of cleaning the snot bubbles out of their kids noses and trying to get a 2 year old to eat green beans they would better understand the definition of 'selfless'."

Here is a link to the article along with some priceless quotes I have excavated from its contents.

"Meet the women who won't have babies - because they're not eco friendly"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=495495&in_page_id=1879

"Had Toni Vernelli gone ahead with her pregnancy ten years ago, she would know at first hand what it is like to cradle her own baby, to have a pair of innocent eyes gazing up at her with unconditional love, to feel a little hand slipping into hers - and a voice calling her Mummy.

But the very thought makes her shudder with horror."

My Commentary: Shudder with horror?

...following her decision to not ever have children...
"At least then, we'd be doing something positive for the world, rather than something negative."

My Commentary: I agree that if she would "shudder with horror" at the thought of cradling her own baby that, yes, sterilization for her is doing something positive for the rest of us...the world.

...working with fellow environmentalists...
Toni was happy, at last, with fellow environmentalists who shared her philosophy. But when she was 25, disaster struck.

"I discovered that despite taking the Pill, I'd accidentally fallen pregnant by my boyfriend.

"I was horrified. I knew straight away there was no option of having the baby.

"I went to my doctor about having a termination..."

My Commentary: Fallen pregnant?

...She had the termination...later had appointment for sterilization...
"A week before my sterilisation, I went to an animal rights demonstration and met Ed.

"I liked him immediately, and I told him what I was doing straight away - because if he wanted children then he needed to know I wasn't the woman for him," she says.

"But Ed was relieved when I told him how I felt and said he didn't want children for the same reasons."

My Commentary: How many of these "environmentalists" are out there?

On the morning of surgery, Ed gave Toni a card saying "Congratulations".

Toni says: "After the operation, which is irreversible, I didn't feel emotional - just relieved.

"I've never doubted that I made the right decision. Ed and I married in September 2002, and have a much nicer lifestyle as a result of not having children. "

My Commentary: Congratulations? They were definitely meant for each other. Didn't feel emotional, just relieved? Not human! Additionally, of course their lifestyle is "richer" in the monetary sense of the word. They have no idea what they are missing in the sense of those wonderful moments with children who have unconditional love, missing you when you are gone, loving you when you are around, and endless other selfless and selfish benefits of having children. Their loss, but evidently much better for everyone else.

...Another case (if you can believe it--in the same article)...
"Most young girls dream of marriage and babies. But Sarah dreamed of helping the environment - and as she agonised over the perils of climate change, the loss of animal species and destruction of wilderness, she came to the extraordinary decision never to have a child.

"I realised then that a baby would pollute the planet - and that never having a child was the most environmentally friendly thing I could do."

My Commentary: A baby would pollute the planet? Do they think that humans were here by accident?

...Later in the article...
"I'd never dream of preaching to others about having a family. It's a very personal choice. What I do like to do is make people aware of the facts."

My Commentary: What facts? They are preaching. Again...Having a baby would pollute the planet?

...her husband chimes in saying...
"In short, we do everything we can to reduce our carbon footprint. But all this would be undone if we had a child.

"That's why I had a vasectomy. It would be morally wrong for me to add to climate change and the destruction of Earth. "

My Commentary: Doing all they can do to reduce their carbon footprint would all be undone if they had a child? What a way to make their decision sound so unselfish...also, that it would be morally wrong to add to the destruction of the earth. Hmm, do these people sound very stable to you in the first place? Do they sound like they are not already adding to the destruction, at least to the societal structure of the earth? Not so stable, in my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That is what makes this world go around. It's always interesting to hear what people think and do outside of my reality. This one...is really outside of my reality...thankfully.

No comments: