Ad

Friday, November 23, 2007

Children...Priceless Treasures, Naughty & Nice

This week's theme...Being Thankful

Keeping with my theme this week, I've decided to focus on the next generation...our children.

"Always be nice to your children because they are the ones who will choose your rest home."
-Phyllis Diller

As I know from experience, children are priceless treasures, naughty and nice. I wouldn't feel that life was living without my kids. Sure, sometimes I desire my alone time, like right now while I am blogging, trying to keep a thought, they are running around playing not-so-quiet "spy games" (as they are calling them tonight). I just hope that they get their excess energy let out so that they sleep well and wake up as the angels they usually are (because mine, like all of your children are usually angels).

"Children are the only form of immortality that we can be sure of."
-Peter Ustinov (1921 - 2004)

Age does wonders for relaxing my nerves (not that 37 is old by any stretch). I find that, since my husband and I started having children later, and since my kids are both in elementary school (I miss them during the day...that is the truth, not sarcasm), that I love having them run around the house with their friends, love having conversations with them, love listening to what they feel about the future, etc. I appreciate my kids a great deal.

"Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them."
-Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

I wonder if other parents worry like I do, whether I am doing a good job, teaching my kids the right things, showing a good example, etc. Will my kids look back at me and be happy that I was a good parent? I know I only have control over my own actions. As a parent I know that it is my responsibility to nurture my children into adults that can contribute something meaningful to society and, at the same time, have self-satisfying lives. Everyday is a new beginning for me to nurture and re-nurture my children and, hopefully, they will forgive me for my mistakes.

I am thankful for my children.

Here are some links to some articles (just a few) that I found fun, and interesting in researching for this article...

"Having Lots of Kids Helps Dads Live To 100"
http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=610076

"No Wonder Some Animals Eat Their Own Young"
http://www.themishmash.com/2007/11/no-wonder-allig.html

"Snooze Or Lose"
http://nymag.com/news/features/38951/?imw=Y

"Children Quotes"
...quotations to inspire, challenge, and humor
http://www.wisdomquotes.com/cat_children.html

Foster Care....Foster Club
http://www.fosterclub.com/grownups/statistics.cfm


There are so many reasons to be thankful. Even if it weren't the week we celebrate Thanksgiving, I would be counting my blessings. Shouldn't every day be a day we are thankful for? Shouldn't we all treasure our children...naughty and nice?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would you like some content to go wtih your ads? Sorry - the bar running down the left side is incredibly annoying, and the post is mostly quotes and links.